License, Career, and Best Interests
Tampering With Government Records / Documents
Tampering with Government Records/ Documents allegations and charges can be very challenging and tedious. Often times Tampering with Government Records can be raised to a felony offense which carries with it the possibility of serious jail time and fines. Therefore it is very important for anyone charged with this crime to hire a knowledgeable and skilled criminal defense attorney who has handled these types of cases. At Eyler Law Offices, we have extensive experience with Tampering with Government Records. We are extremely experienced with the criminal justice system and have the knowledge and capability to provide you with the best defense possible. At Eyler Law Offices, we utilize our former prosecutorial experience to help us anticipate and respond to any evidence and trial strategy that the government will use in your case.
You need a highly experienced criminal defense attorney if you have been accused of making, selling or using any of the following documents: a fraudulent identification card, a fraudulent automobile inspection sticker, a fraudulent deed, driver’s license, automobile insurance verification, jury services form, automobile title, or any other government document. Call Eyler Law Offices at (214) 540-7750 or email us on our contact form.
Tampering With Government Records as Defined in Texas Law
Texas Penal Code, Sec. 37.10. Tampering With Government Record
(a) A person commits an offense if he:
- (1) knowingly makes a false entry in, or false alteration of, a governmental record;
- (2) makes, presents, or uses any record, document, or thing with knowledge of its falsity and with intent that it be taken as a genuine governmental record;
- (3) intentionally destroys, conceals, removes, or otherwise impairs the verity, legibility, or availability of a governmental record;
- (4) possesses, sells, or offers to sell a governmental record or a blank governmental record form with intent that it be used unlawfully;
- (5) makes, presents, or uses a governmental record with knowledge of its falsity; or
- (6) possesses, sells, or offers to sell a governmental record or a blank governmental record form with knowledge that it was obtained unlawfully.
Various examples of Tampering with Government Records/ Documents cases:
- Possession, Making, Buying or Selling of False Identification Documents or Cards
- Alteration or Making of a Jury Form
- Possessing, Buying, or Selling of a Fake Social Security Card
- Possessing, Making, Buying, or Selling a Fake or Fictitious Texas Driver’s License (or any other state driver’s license)
- Possessing, Making, Buying, or Selling Fake or Fictitious Auto Insurance Documents or cards
- Possessing, Making, Buying, or Selling a Fake or Fictitious Texas Identification Card (or any other state identification card)
In this current age of terrorism In the United States, we live with a heightened sense of sensitivity and security to the use of false identification. Therefore, the possession of false identification is taken very seriously by all law enforcement agencies and it carries serious penalties and consequences. In addition, a criminal charge along with the possession of false identification could result in the loss of your driver’s license, and/or possible jail time.
Penalties and Charges
Tampering with Government Records penalties usually range from a Class B Misdemeanor to a Second Degree Felony offense. The degree of the criminal offense depends on several factors: what type of record or document is in question was there an intent to defraud or harm another, that can be proven, was the record or document in question being made, used, sold, or presented, etc.
The offense of Tampering with a Government Record varies and depends on what type of records or documents are in question:
- Making Fake, Fictitious or Fraudulent Proof of Insurance – 3rd degree felony
- Presenting or Using Fake, Fictitious, or Fraudulent Proof of insurance – Class B Misdemeanor
- If there was intent to defraud, both of the above charges can become a 2nd degree felony.
School Records and Documents
- Public school documents, records, reports, or assessment instruments – 3rd degree felony
- Government record or documents presented or used to establish residency for enrolling a student in a particular school district – Class C Misdemeanor
Various Other Government Records
- License, certificate, permit, seal, title, letter of patent, or similar document – 3rd Degree Felony
- License, certificate, permit, seal, title, letter of patent, or similar document with the intent to defraud or harm – 2nd Degree Felony
A person is presumed to intend to defraud or harm another if the person acts with respect to two or more of the same type of governmental records or blank governmental record forms and if each governmental record or blank governmental record form is a license, certificate, permit, seal, title, or similar document issued by government.
It should be noted that a “”Governmental Record” is defined very broadly. It includes almost any document or paperwork that has any legal significance.
Representation and Defense
It is very important for you to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately if you have been arrested or charged with the offense of Tampering with Government Records or Documents. An experienced attorney will analyze your case for any potential legal issues that come up with a tampering with government records case. At Eyler Law Offices, we begin our investigation into your case immediately and we keep you fully informed throughout the whole legal process. We fight to protect your legal rights to ensure that justice is served in your case.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 We Will Fight for You!